Kappa Kappa Gamma House

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 12:05, 23 June 2011 by Acschi (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Kappa Gamma House

Acquired by the College: 1926

Previous Names: Alpha Chi Omega House (1927-1929)

Map it for me

The Kappa Gamma House (also known as Lacy Property) at the College of William and Mary is located at 111 Richmond Road.

In 1926 the property was purchased from T.A. Lacy: "All that certain lot of land, together with the buildings and improvements thereon, known as the Lively Lot," ...bounded on the north by what is known as the "Blacksmith Lot," on east by property of W.A. Hamilton, on west by property of Jackie Creasy. (Property: Sales/Purchases Deed Transactions, 1982.60; WMSBG. Deed Book 11-450, 9/23/1926)

A June 20, 1927 letter from architect Charles M. Robinson to President Julian A. C. Chandler regarding students' buildings called for a "Change of location to Lacy lot, additional baths, enlarged dormer and other increases ordered by you on the Lacy building..." (under Budget—Building Improvements and Construction, 1925-1930, Acc. 1982.45)

The rent from Alpha Chi Omega (Lacy) was $1,683.00. (Attached sheet "Lacy House $1,683.00, Julian A. C. Chandler to Col. Lane, Sept. 23, 1927, under Budget—Dormitory Housing—General, Acc. 1982.45) In August 1927, the Straw Hat noted that a brick house was being built for Alpha Chi Omega. (Straw Hat, 8/4/1927, 1) The July 1928 Straw Hat noted that the brick house built for Alpha Chi Omega was almost directly opposite the [[President's House. (Straw Hat, 7/5/1928, 3)

In 1929-1930, the house became the Kappa Kappa Gamma House. (Julian A. C. Chandler to Kappa Kappa Gamma, June 5, 1929, Acc. 1982.45)

References

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

External Links

Sorority Court layout: [1]


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.