Jump! was first published by College of William and Mary students in 1983. It is one of many College of William and Mary publications. Information gathered by students in LCST 201 "Constructing the News" about some College publications including Jump! is available at the course Wiki. Electronic versions of jump! are available online at http://dspace.swem.wm.edu/dspace/handle/10288/18.
The October 1989 issue of Jump! (p. 15) includes a profile of student Patton Oswalt. Oswalt, class of 1991, is a comedian and actor who has appeared in numerous television programs and films since graduating from William and Mary with a BA in English.
Since the late 1960s, students have frequently produced newspapers and other publications, including literary and creative journals, without official college sanction. The earliest one in the University Archives is The Owl, consisting of one issue published in 1854 by students at the college. The satirical and humorous Fat Head, distributed by The Flat Hat writers, has been in existence since at least 1939. The Special Collections Research Center also keeps copies of current alternative newspapers and publications.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Jump! in the SCRC Collections Database.
- Jump!, Available in Swem Periodicals and Archives Serials, call number: LH1 .W54 J8.
- SCRC File.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|