The academic building was named in honor of Rev. Hugh Jones Professor of Natural Philosophy and Mathematics (1717-1721) on Charter Day, February 7, 1970. The School of Education replaced the Philosophy Department in 1976, which moved out of Jones Hall and into New Rogers Hall. During the summer of that same year, the second floor was renovated and additional offices and testing and observation rooms were constructed for the School of Education. In June 2010, the School of Education vacated its quarters in Jones and moved to it's newly constructed 113,000 sq. foot building located through the College Woods at the northwest edge of campus on Monticello Avenue.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|