John Randolph (1773-1833)
John Randolph, also known as John Randolph of Roanoke, was the son of Frances Bland Randolph and John Randolph of Matoax in Chesterfield County, Virginia. He was the stepson of St. George Tucker; godfather of John Randolph Bryan. He was born in 1773 in Cawsons, Prince George County, Virginia. Randolph studied at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) and Columbia College in New York City. He was renowned for his oratory skills. He served several terms in the US House of Representatives and in the Senate from 1825 until 1827. He was also appointed as the United States Minister to Russia by President Andrew Jackson. He is believed to have suffered from symptoms of tuberculosis since his childhood which may have prevented his going through puberty. He never married. He died of tuberculosis in Philadelphia on May 24, 1833.
Materials in the Special Collections Research Center
- John Randolph of Roanoke in SCRC Database
- John Randolph of Roanoke in SCRC Rare Books Collection
- Will of John Randolph of Roanoke, November 17, 1800 in SCRC Digital Archive
External Links / Further Reading
- John Randolph American Politician Encyclopaedia Britannica. Last modified July 20, 1998 (accessed March 14, 2017).
- John Randolph (1773-1833) Online Library of Liberty. Last modified April 13, 2016 (accessed March 14, 2017).
- John Randolph of Roanoke Virginia Historical Society. Presenter, David Johnson. June 28, 2012 (accessed February 1, 2017).
- John Randolph Find A Grave Memorial. Last modified January 1, 2001 (accessed March 14, 2017).
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|