Difference between revisions of "John Millington"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Millington, John]][[Category:
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Millington, John]][[Category:William Mary Faculty and Staff|Millington, John]]
Revision as of 15:56, 9 September 2019
He was born 11 May 1779 near London. Licensed as an attorney in England, he later turned to engineering. Professor of Royal Institution. In 1829, he moved to Mexico as an engineer with Anglo-Mexican Mining Association. He moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1832. he was Professor of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy at the College of William and Mary in 1836-1848. He took the degree of doctor of medicine at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He was Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at the University of Mississippi and Professor at the Memphis (Tenn.) Medical College. He died in 1868.
His son was Thomas Millington who created well known drawings of the Brafferton, Wren Building, and President's House circa 1840s-1850, the multiple versions of which are known as the Millington print. The various versions of the Millington print were based upon a wash drawing.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- John Millington in the SCRC Collections Database.
- John Millington, Civil Engineer and Teacher, 1779-1868, Lavonne O. Tarleton.
- SCRC File.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|