Difference between revisions of "John Bracken (c. 1745 - 1818)"
(New page: ==Material in SCRC== *[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7061 Rev. John Bracken], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library: A petition fr...)
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
Revision as of 12:46, 26 January 2009
Material in SCRC
- Rev. John Bracken, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library: A petition from the president and professors of the College to Virginia Chief Justice Paul Carrington requesting that their case be heard this term. It is signed by James Madison and seconded by John Bracken. The document includes the Greek temple seal.
- Rev. John Bracken, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library: The letter dated May 18, 1800, from Chapman Johnson to College of William and Mary alumnus David Watson provides a detailed account of an "unfortunate disturbance," a student revolt at the College the previous winter. Chapman reported on a student's rude treatment of the postmaster, its witnessing by Professor Bracken, the expulsion of the student, the resulting student meetings and protests, faculty-student negotiations, consultation with Bishop Madison and St. George Tucker, student threats against the latter, etc.
- John Bracken vs. the Visitors of William and Mary College, Link to ERIC to find "The Rev. John Bracken v. the Visitors of William and Mary College: A Post-Revolutionary Problem in Visitatorial Jurisdiction" from the William and Mary Law Review, v. 20 n3 p 415 - 40 Spr 1979
Abstract: "A brief narrative description of the journal article, document, or resource. Reforms in 1779 at the College of William and Mary caused a professor to be dismissed, after which he took legal action against the institution. It is concluded that English corporate law was abused in defending against the professor's action."
|Preceded by||College of William and Mary President||Succeeded by|
|Bishop James Madison
1777 - 1812
|Rev. John Bracken
1812 - 1814
|Dr. John Augustine Smith
1814 - 1826
|A note about the information in this wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|