Janet Haldane Coleman Kimbrough (1902-1992)

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 13:17, 18 December 2018 by Carolyn A. Wilson (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This page is currently under construction. Please check back for updates. 12/17/2018.

Janet Kimborough (left) and Alice Person, 1919 (Special Collections Resource Center University Archives Photograph Collection

Dr. Janet Coleman Kimbrough was born February 21, 1902 as the daughter of Mary Haldane Begg Coleman (1875-1967) and George Preston Coleman,[1] mayor of Williamsburg. George P. Coleman was a direct descendant of St. George Tucker of Williamsburg, Virginia. She was also the granddaughter of Cynthia Beverley Tucker Washington Coleman. She married Raymond Kimbrough (1899-1993) in 1929 (divorced 1949); they had a daughter, Cynthia Barlowe.[2]

Dr. Kimbrough was a member of the first class of women at the College of William and Mary entering in 1918. After graduation in 1921 she went to medical school, returning to Williamsburg as an active member of the community and supporter of the College of William and Mary.

Janet Kimborough with her granddaughter Doris Kimborough (Special Collections Resource Center Faculty Alumni File

Material in the Special Collections Research Center


  1. Ron Stewart, U. S. Find A Grave Index 1600s-Current, "Janet Haldane Coleman Kimbrough " (1902-1992), Memorial #35699507 , record added April 9, 2009, accessed through Ancestry.com December 18, 2008, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/35699507#source
  2. Ancestry.com. Virginia, Divorce Records, 1918-2014 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.

In the News

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.