Difference between revisions of "James McClurg (1726-1823)"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
[[Category:William Mary Alumni]][[Category:William Mary Faculty and Staff]]
Revision as of 15:58, 9 September 2019
Note: This page is currently under construction. Please check back later for updates. February 16, 2017.
Dr. James McClurg was the first Chair of Anatomy and Medicine at the College of William and Mary, serving from 1779 to 1784, when he left to go into private practice. He attended William and Mary in 1762 and went on to attended the University of Edinburgh, graduating with a degree in medicine in 1770.
McClurg was appointed the Chair of Anatomy and Medicine at the 4 December 1779 meeting of the Board of Visitors. He left the College in 1784 to return to private practice. After leaving the College of William and Mary, McClurg served as a delegate to the 1787 Constitutional Convention.
Material in the SCRC
- McClurg, James. Experiments upon the Human Bile and Reflections on the Biliary Secretions. London, T. Cadell, 1772. Available in SCRC Rare Boooks Collection, call # QP197.M25.
- Godson, Susan H, et. al., The College of William and Mary: A History, King and Queen Press, 1993. pg. 132, 133.
- Faculty Minutes, 29 December 1779
- Biography of James McClurg National Archives and Records Administration, The Founding Fathers: Virginia, last reviewed September 29, 2016. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- Find information regarding James McClurg's property in Williamsburg at Custis Square Property, Francis Street by Mary A. Stephenson, 1947 Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Digital Library, last updated September 9, 1998. Accessed February 16, 2017.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|