James Blair Hall

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 20:41, 11 May 2007 by Acschi (talk | contribs) (punctuation)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

James Blair Hall, formerly named Marshall-Wythe Hall, is located on the west end of the Sunken Garden, facing Campus Road. It was first built by the Public Works Administration between 1934-1935 with the intent to house the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. The first floor was designed to hold administrative offices (for the President, Deans, Bursar, Business Manager, registrar and treasurer; also a large business office, conference room, two file rooms, rest rooms, record room, and two reception rooms). The second floor had 8 classrooms and 7 offices for faculty members, with similar plans for the third floor. The Administrative Offices moved into the building on July 1, 1935.

In 1936, the second and third floors were occupied by the departments of Economics, Government, History, Sociology, and the School of Jurisprudence. A dedication ceremony for the building was held in April 1937. In 1943, the Navy Chaplain's School was located on the second floor. In 1959, a new phone system was installed for the campus and the equipment for the system was kept in the basement of the building.

In 1968, the building was renamed James Blair Hall. The interior woodwork of James Blair Hall is made from American Walnut wood.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007). James Blair Hall. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.