Difference between revisions of "James Blair Hall"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:Ref]]
Revision as of 15:57, 9 September 2019
James Blair Hall, formerly named Marshall-Wythe Hall, is located on the west end of the Sunken Garden, at 250 James Blair Drive at the College of William and Mary. It is across the Sunken Garden from McGlothlin-Street Hall and next to Tyler Hall. The Tyler Family Garden is on one side and a statue of William and Mary's first president, the Rev. James Blair, is on the other.
Construction was contracted to T.A. Loving for $175,250 with a Public Works Administration grant. Built between 1934-1935, it was intended to house the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. The first floor was designed to hold administrative offices (for the President, Deans, Bursar, Business Manager, registrar and treasurer; also a large business office, conference room, two file rooms, rest rooms, record room, and two reception rooms). The second floor had 8 classrooms and 7 offices for faculty members, with similar plans for the third floor. The Administrative Offices moved into the building on July 1, 1935. The interior woodwork is American Walnut.
In 1936, the second and third floors were occupied by the departments of Economics, Government, History, Sociology, and the School of Jurisprudence. A dedication ceremony for the building was held in April 1937. In 1943, the Navy Chaplain's School on campus during World War II was located on the second floor. In 1959, a new phone system was installed for the campus and the equipment for the system was kept in the basement of the building. In 1962, the President's and Admissions offices moved to Ewell Hall.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|