Difference between revisions of "J. Lesslie Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
 
Line 7: Line 7:
 
{{infodisclaimer}}
 
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:College Stub|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:College of William and Mary Faculty and Staff|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:Ref|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:Archon to clean up]]
+
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:College Stub|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:William & Mary Faculty and Staff|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:Ref|Hall, J. Lesslie]][[Category:Archon to clean up]]

Latest revision as of 16:00, 9 September 2019

John Lesslie Hall was one of the seven professors known as the Seven Wise Men. he was hired as the professor of English and History in 1888, while he was still a doctoral candidate. He earned his doctorate from Johns Hopkins University in 1892. When the curriculum was changed in 1898, he taught English Language and Literature and General History. He continued to teach at the College until 1928. He was born in Richmond, Va., 2 March 1856. He attended Randolph-Macon College. Taught school. Married Margaret Fenwick. Among other volumes, he published a translation of Beowulf and co-authored an Anglo-Saxon grammar. Hall died in 1928. He is the father of John Lesslie Hall, Jr., an admiral in the United States Navy during Wolrd War II.

Professor Hall's portrait hangs in the Botetourt Gallery in Swem Library. A video tour of the gallery is available via YouTube.

J. Lesslie Hall (John Lesslie) in the SCRC database.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.