Infirmaries

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 12:30, 8 September 2012 by Acschi (talk | contribs) (began adding WM publications citations)

Jump to: navigation, search

There have been multiple Infirmaries at the College of William and Mary including the present-day Hunt Hall and the Student Health Center.

Chronology

1892--Executive Committee authorizes rental of house owned by James Galt to be used as infirmary (Executive Committee Minutes, August, 1892, p. 72) ..question of establishment of an infirmary referred to Executive Committee, Board of Visitors provided the amount to be expended shall not exceed the sum of $1400 (BofV, p. 316) .."I should suppose that a frame building with four comfortable rooms, in the rear of the lot, would be suitable for our purposes. (BofV, p. 320)

1893--committee to obtain plans and specifications (BofV, June 1893, p. 351) ..plans accepted (BofV, Sept. 1893, p. 357)

.."The infirmary to be placed on the lot to be purchased form Mr. M. Morris. if not, in the College enclosure about opposite said lot." 90' x 200' lot from Mattie C. and Willard F. Morris

1894--Built west of Old Taliaferro Dormitory

..BofV and its committees hereafter to meet in Infirmary building (BofV, June 1894, p. 366)

1895-1919-used for BofV meetings

1919--small wooden building

1922--mens, right of Taliaferro Hall, women's in Jefferson Hall, Rm 7 (BofV, 1922, p. 377)

1928-29--Infirmary also on third floor of Tyler

1930--plans presented for new infirmary, contract to J.W. Davis, Newport News for $69,630.00 (BofV, March 1930, p. 261)

..contract March 14, to be completed by September 1

..completed by September 5 (J.A.C. Chandler to John G. Pollard, Sept. 5, 1930, 1982.45 under Budget--Infirmary

..College hospital built (present Hunt Hall)

..to be located where the garden pool is situated on South Boundary Street, south of Tyler Hall, east of Dining Hall. Brick, 135' x 60', 2 1/2 stories, one side for women, other for men. Some individual rooms, most space made into wards. Central portion between men's and women's sections to be rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, reading rooms, etc. Automatic elevator, electric signal system in rooms and wards. Upper decks of porches at each end of building for sun porches. (FH, 3/7/1930, p. 1)

..foundation nearing completion (FH, 5/2/1030, 1) ..contract to J.W. Davis of Newport News for $74,912.86 (BofV, June 1930, p. 271) ..completed and open. Girls' section south side, boys' section on north. Single and double rooms on 1st and 2nd floors. 3rd floor isolation ward, 6 sun parlors, 2 on each floor at extreme northern and southern ends (FH, 9/26/1930, 7)

1934--designated as David King Infirmary by BofV, June 8, 1934, p. 10. Named for David J. King. 1938--used for men

1951--old infirmary (8 rooms) should be converted for rental by College staff (BovV,May 1951,p.196)

1958--old infirmary still used as dormitory, capacity of 13 (BofV, Sept. 6, 1958, p. 87) [also used for football players according to Dudley Jensen]

1964--old infirmary torn down to make way for new bookstore (had been moved to rear of Morris House) (BofV, May 9, 1964, p. 518-519; FH, 10/16/1964, 4)

1965--King Infirmary 2nd and 3rd floors converted to dormitory rooms (FH, 5/14/1965, 1)

1973--Old King Infirmary renamed James Madison Hall, converted to residence hall (FH, 10/5/1973, 10)

1974--New David J. King Infirmary (see Infirmaries) Built. College Hospital renamed Althea Hunt Residence. (WMN, 5/21/1974, 4; BofV, May 1974, p. 243)

1987--north end porch rebuilt, double hung windows installed. Summer 1987.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

The Flat Hat

Most issues of the Flat Hat are available online from Swem Library.[1]

  • Doctors hours, FH, 11/27/1917, p. 2.
  • Eye clinics held FH, 10/31/1924, p. 1.
  • Notice on hours and policies FH, 9/30/1927, p. 4.
  • New building to be erected FH, 2/17/1928, p. 1, 10.
  • How to avoid spread of influenza FH, 12/14/1928, p. 5.
  • W&M escapes worst of influenza epidemic FH, 1/11/1928, p. 1.
  • This department: a visit to the infirmary FH, 2/8/1929, p. 5.
  • No excuses to be granted for less than twelve hour stay FH, 10/18/1929, p. 13.
  • Plans made for new building FH, 2/21/1930, p. 1, 11.
  • “Lord Botetourt Says” mumps on campus FH, 2/21/1930, p. 4.
  • Students warned about mumps epidemic FH, 2/21/1930, p. 9.
  • Plans for new facility FH, 3/7/1930, p. 1, 2.
  • Men’s and women’s infirmary is open FH, 9/26/1930, p. 7.
  • Meet the People Behind it all FH, 11/22/1938, p. 6.
  • 21 stricken by measles groan at missing class FH, 3/18/1941, p. 1, 6.
  • Women students replace Nurses in the infirmary FH, 2/9/1943, p. 6.
  • Food Problem… FH, 11/29/1944, p. 8.
  • Food Poisoning examined; not caused by spoilage FH 12/6/1944, p. 7.
  • Campus epidemic caused by virus FH, 12/13/1944, p. 3.
  • Sick students pay meal fees FH, 2/21/1945, p. 6.
  • Mary Parker starts home nursing class FH, 10/31/1945, p. 4.
  • College infirmary treats many cases FH, 10/31/1945, p. 4.
  • Record shows case increase FH, 11/28/1945, p. 7.
  • Flu epidemic fills infirmary FH, 12/12/1945, p. 1.
  • Flu epidemic wanes FH, 12/19/1945, p. 4.
  • Issues flu shot reports FH, 11/3/1946, p. 8.
  • Closing for holidays FH, 12/17/1946, p. 4.
  • Influenza inoculation available FH, 11/11/1947, p. 1.
  • Infirmary to close for Christmas FH, 12/16/1947, p. 8.
  • Will close during spring recess FH, 3/30/1948, p. 9.
  • To close for holidays FH, 12/7/1948, p. 4.
  • To close during holidays FH, 12/14/1948, p. 10.
  • Gives injections for spotted fever FH, 4/17/1951, p. 4.
  • Has regular hours FH, 10/2/1951, p. 10.
  • Sets spring break hours FH, 3/25/1952, p. 3.
  • Dr. Keppel discusses flu epidemic FH, 2/24/1953, p. 11 (picture).
  • Dr. Painter assumes post as College doctor FH, 9/22/1953, p. 1 (picture).
  • Tibor Heda selected as new College physician FH, 4/20/1954, p. 6.
  • Measles epidemic reaches peak FH, 5/11/1954, p. 3.
  • Treats many cases of flu, colds FH, 10/8/1957, p. 1.
  • Dorms converted during flu epidemic FH, 10/22/1957, p. 1, 7 (picture).
  • Flu shots FH, 12/10/1957, p. 1.
  • Qualified experts discuss epidemic striking students FH, 4/21/1959, p. 1, 2.
  • Flu shots readied FH, 9/22/1961, p. 16.
  • De Bord announces one-week deadline for influenza shots FH, 10/6/1961, p. 5 (picture).
  • Student questions infirmary FH, 4/27/1962, p. 4.
  • Passing scene FH, 10/4/1963, p. 4.
  • Chest X-rays FH, 10/18/1963, p. 10.
  • Work on building FH, 9/11/70, P. 4.
  • Preliminary plans for new infirmary revealed FH, 10/1/71/, p. 1.
  • Contract awarded for construction of new Infirmary CR, 3/3/72, p. 1; FH, 3/3/72, p. 3.
  • Study recommends Infirmary reform FH, 4/28/72, p. 3.
  • Cilley plans improved infirmary FH, 2/16/73, p. 2.
  • Fee problems, FH 9/28/73, p. 9.
  • Service FH, 9/28/73, p. 18.
  • Vast services provided FH, 11/8/74, p. 4.
  • Pharmacist’s services boost cost FH, 4/4/75, p. 11.
  • Health insurance needs outlined FH, 5/9/75, p. 2.
  • Third physician added to staff FH, 5/9/75, p. 3.
  • Dr. Cilley explains services FH, 9/12/75, p. 2.
  • Flu epidemic hits infirmary hard FH, 2/20/76, p. 2.
  • Flu sweeps campus FH, 2/10/78, p. 2.
  • Rubella termed “epidemic” FH, 3/17/78, p. 1, 5.
  • Joseph Black, New Doctor joins health staff FH, 10/20/78, p. 3.
  • Offers advice on Toxic Shock Syndrome FH, 11/21/80, p. 2 (picture).
  • Plays role of Family Physician FH, 12/5/80, p. 7 (picture).
  • Four cases of measles recuperate in infirmary FH, 3/6/1946, p. 10.
  • College fires director of Student Health FH, 8/28/81, p. 3 (picture).
  • Karrow advises on rubella FH, 8/28/81, p. 7.
  • Five contract food poisoning FH, 1/22/82, p. 3 (picture).
  • Student Health Service hires new physician, William Perry; introduces Self Help FH, 11/5/82, p. 3 (picture).
  • Possible measles contact has health officials concerned FH, 3/15/1985, p. 1, 5.
  • College administers vaccinations FH, 4/15/1985, p. 1, 2.
  • Center teaches health habits FH, 9/13/1985, p. 9, 10.
  • “Sneezy, sniffly season;” Health Service busier this winter FH, 2/7/1986, p.6.
  • Dr. Karow reports concern over pregnancy rate increase FH, 12/5/1986, p. 1, 3 (picture); FH, 1/30/1987, p. 2.
  • Getting sick at school [opinion pieces by Dean Amy Jarmon and Ricardo Figueinas] FH, 1/23/1987, p. 5.
  • Sponsors AIDS movie FH, 4/10/1987, p. 10.
  • To supply condoms to students FH, 9/11/1987, p. 1.
  • Condoms to be sold at pharmacy FH, 9/18/1987, p. 1.
  • Cynthia Burwell, new health educator; to work with students FH, 10/30/1987, p. 1.
  • AIDS Week brings speakers, films FH, 10/7/1988, p. 2.

Alumni Gazette

The Alumni Gazette is not yet available online.

  • College Hospital opened in 1930 AG, April 1934, p. 1, 2.
  • History and Description AG, March 1945, p. 16, 17.
  • New facility AG, 41.3:3 (picture).
  • Article, AG, 46.5:3 (picture).

William & Mary News

The William & Mary News is not yet available online, but its predecessor newspaper Colleague is available online from Swem Library[2].

  • Weekend health service arrangements WMN, 2/27/73, p. 3.
  • Pharmacist to join staff WMN, 2/4/75, p. 4.
  • Bracey retires as head nurse WMN, 8/5/75, p. 3.
  • W&M alumna joins staff WMN, 9/2/75, p. 10; FH, 9/12/75, p. 2.
  • Precautions against tick fever WMN, 6/13/78, p. 8.
  • Lecture series on health WMN, 10/3/78, p. 3; FH, 10/6/78, p. 2.
  • Health services expanded WMN, 10/17/78, p. 6.
  • Develops “Mighty Muffin,” WMN, 11/18/80, p. 4 (picture).
  • Dr. Karrow new director of Student Health Services WMN, 1/19/82, p. 6 (picture).
  • Two Physicians join staff – Dr. William J. Perry and Dr. Tawni Frank WMN, 11/16/82, p. 3 (pictures).
  • Health Services beings new Wellness/Self Help program WMN, 11/30/82, p. 6.
  • Wellness Center receives grant WMN, 2/8/83, p. 1.
  • Wellness Week schedule; handicapped needs highlighted WMN, 3/15/83, p.2; FH, 3/18/83, p. 1, 3.
  • Immunization clinic WMN, 9/27/1983, p. 1.
  • Center offers fitness program WMN, 11/1/1983, p. 2.
  • CPR course available, enrollment limited WMN, 1/24/1984, p. 6.
  • Measles scare means shots for over 400 college students WMN, 4/10/1985, p. 3.
  • Dr. Karrow stresses preventive medicine in health care WMN, 10/30/1985, p. 4, 8.
  • AIDS movie to be shown WMN, 3/18/1987, p. 2; WMN, 3/25/1987, p. 3.
  • Virus upsets campus WMN, 3/27/1987, p. 1.
  • New bill passed requiring students to be inoculated against contagious diseases WMN, 4/29/1987, p. 1 (picture).
  • AIDS information WMN, 9/9/1987, p. 6, 7.
  • First Aid Kits available at Student Health Service WMN, 6/15/1988, p. 6.
  • AIDS Awareness Week begins Sunday WMN, 10/5/1988, p. 2.


Photographs


References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Infirmaries, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.