Infirmaries

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 12:57, 23 October 2007 by Emotoo (talk | contribs) (New page: ''Infirmaries'' 1892--Executive Committee authorizes rental of house owned by James Galt to be used as infirmary (Executive Committee Minutes, August, 1892, p. 72) • question of establ...)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Infirmaries

1892--Executive Committee authorizes rental of house owned by James Galt to be used as infirmary (Executive Committee Minutes, August, 1892, p. 72) • question of establishment of an infirmary referred to Executive Committee, BofV provided the amount to be expended shall not exceed the sum of $1400 (BofV, p. 316) • "I should suppose that a frame building with four comfortable rooms, in the rear of the lot, would be suitable for our purposes. (BofV, p. 320) 1893--committee to obtain plans and specifications (BofV, June 1893, p. 351) • plans accepted (BofV, Sept. 1893, p. 357) • "The infirmary to be placed on the lot to be purchased form Mr. M. Morris.if not, in the College inclosure about opposite said lot." 90' x 200' lot from Mattie C. and Willard F. Morris 1894--Built west of Old Taliaferro Dormitory • BofV and its committees hereafter to meet in Infirmary building (BofV, June 1894, p. 366) 1895-1919-used for BofV meetings 1919--small wooden building 1922--mens, right of Taliaferro, women's in Jefferson, Rm 7 (BofV, 1922, p. 377) 1928-29--Infirmary also on third floor of Tyler 1930--plans presented for new infirmary, contract to J.W. Davis, Newport News for $69,630.00 (BofV, March 1930, p. 261) • contract March 14, to be completed by September 1 • completed by September 5 (JACC to John G. Pollard, Sept. 5, 1930, 1982.45 under Budget--Infirmary • College hospital built (present Hunt Dormitory)

• to be located where the garden pool is situated on South Boundary Street, south of Tyler Hall, east of Dining Hall. Brick, 135' x 60', 2 1/2 stories, one side for women, other for men. Some individual rooms, most space made into wards. Central portion between men's and women's sections to be rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, reading rooms, etc. Automatic elevator, electric signal system in rooms and wards. Upper decks of porches at each end of building for sun porches. (FH, 3/7/1930, 1) • foundation nearing completion (FH, 5/2/1030, 1) • contract to J.W. Davis of Newport News for $74,912.86 (BofV, June 1930, p. 271) • completed and open. Girls' section south side, boys' section on north. Single and double rooms on 1st and 2nd floors. 3rd floor isolation ward, 6 sun parlors, 2 on each floor at extreme northern and southern ends (FH, 9/26/1930, 7) 1934--designated as David King Infirmary by BofV, June 8, 1934, p. 10. Named for David J. King. 1938--used for men 1951--old infirmary (8 rooms) should be converted for rental by College staff (BovV, May 1951, p. 196) 1958--old infirmary still used as dormitory, capacity of 13 (BofV, Sept. 6, 1958, p. 87) [also used for football players according to Dudley Jensen] 1964--old infirmary torn down to make way for new bookstore (had been moved to rear of Morris House) (BofV, May 9, 1964, p. 518-519; FH, 10/16/1964, 4) 1965--King Infirmary 2nd and 3rd floors converted to dormitory rooms (FH, 5/14/1965, 1) 1973--Old King Infirmary renamed James Madison Hall, converted to residence hall (FH, 10/5/1973, 10)

1974--New David J. King Infirmary Built. College Hospital renamed Althea Hunt Residence. (WMN, 5/21/1974, 4; BofV, May 1974, p. 243) 1987--north end porch rebuilt, double hung windows installed. Summer 1987. PHOTOGRAPHS 1894-95-William and Mary Catalog, P. 41 1901-Colonial Echo, p. 68 1904-05-Catalog, p. 28 1908-Catalog, p. 1 1918-Catherine Dennis Scrapbook (1984.10, p. 33)


References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), , Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.