Difference between revisions of "Infirmaries"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
There have been multiple '''Infirmaries''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] including [[Hunt Hall]] and the [[
There have been multiple '''Infirmaries''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] including [[Hunt Hall]] and the [].
Revision as of 18:13, 3 September 2012
1892--Executive Committee authorizes rental of house owned by James Galt to be used as infirmary (Executive Committee Minutes, August, 1892, p. 72) ..question of establishment of an infirmary referred to Executive Committee, Board of Visitors provided the amount to be expended shall not exceed the sum of $1400 (BofV, p. 316) .."I should suppose that a frame building with four comfortable rooms, in the rear of the lot, would be suitable for our purposes. (BofV, p. 320)
1893--committee to obtain plans and specifications (BofV, June 1893, p. 351) ..plans accepted (BofV, Sept. 1893, p. 357)
.."The infirmary to be placed on the lot to be purchased form Mr. M. Morris. if not, in the College enclosure about opposite said lot." 90' x 200' lot from Mattie C. and Willard F. Morris
1894--Built west of Old Taliaferro Dormitory
..BofV and its committees hereafter to meet in Infirmary building (BofV, June 1894, p. 366)
1895-1919-used for BofV meetings
1919--small wooden building
1928-29--Infirmary also on third floor of Tyler
1930--plans presented for new infirmary, contract to J.W. Davis, Newport News for $69,630.00 (BofV, March 1930, p. 261)
..contract March 14, to be completed by September 1
..completed by September 5 (J.A.C. Chandler to John G. Pollard, Sept. 5, 1930, 1982.45 under Budget--Infirmary
..College hospital built (present Hunt Hall)
..to be located where the garden pool is situated on South Boundary Street, south of Tyler Hall, east of Dining Hall. Brick, 135' x 60', 2 1/2 stories, one side for women, other for men. Some individual rooms, most space made into wards. Central portion between men's and women's sections to be rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, reading rooms, etc. Automatic elevator, electric signal system in rooms and wards. Upper decks of porches at each end of building for sun porches. (FH, 3/7/1930, p. 1)
..foundation nearing completion (FH, 5/2/1030, 1) ..contract to J.W. Davis of Newport News for $74,912.86 (BofV, June 1930, p. 271) ..completed and open. Girls' section south side, boys' section on north. Single and double rooms on 1st and 2nd floors. 3rd floor isolation ward, 6 sun parlors, 2 on each floor at extreme northern and southern ends (FH, 9/26/1930, 7)
1934--designated as David King Infirmary by BofV, June 8, 1934, p. 10. Named for David J. King. 1938--used for men
1951--old infirmary (8 rooms) should be converted for rental by College staff (BovV,May 1951,p.196)
1958--old infirmary still used as dormitory, capacity of 13 (BofV, Sept. 6, 1958, p. 87) [also used for football players according to Dudley Jensen]
1964--old infirmary torn down to make way for new bookstore (had been moved to rear of Morris House) (BofV, May 9, 1964, p. 518-519; FH, 10/16/1964, 4)
1965--King Infirmary 2nd and 3rd floors converted to dormitory rooms (FH, 5/14/1965, 1)
1973--Old King Infirmary renamed James Madison Hall, converted to residence hall (FH, 10/5/1973, 10)
1974--New David J. King Infirmary (see Infirmaries) Built. College Hospital renamed Althea Hunt Residence. (WMN, 5/21/1974, 4; BofV, May 1974, p. 243)
1987--north end porch rebuilt, double hung windows installed. Summer 1987.
1894-95-William and Mary Catalog, P. 41
1901-Colonial Echo, p. 68
1904-05-Catalog, p. 28
1908-Catalog, p. 1
1918-Catherine Dennis Scrapbook (p. 33)
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Infirmaries, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|