Althea Hunt Hall
Hunt Hall, presently a co-ed freshman dormitory, is located at the intersection of Grigsby Drive and South Boundary Street. It used to function as an infirmary and college hospital.
In 1930, plans were presented to the Board of Visitors for a new infirmary and a contract was awarded to J.W. Davis of Newport News, Virginia for $69,630 for its construction. The building was completed by September 5 that same year. The college hospital was a two and a half story brick building, measuring 135 feet by 60 feet, with
• to be located where the garden pool is situated on South Boundary Street, south of Tyler Hall, east of Dining Hall. Brick, 135' x 60', 2 1/2 stories, one side for women, other for men. Some individual rooms, most space made into wards. Central portion between men's and women's sections to be rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, reading rooms, etc. Automatic elevator, electric signal system in rooms and wards. Upper decks of porches at each end of building for sun porches. (FH, 3/7/1930, 1) • foundation nearing completion (FH, 5/2/1030, 1) • contract to J.W. Davis of Newport News for $74,912.86 (BofV, June 1930, p. 271) • completed and open. Girls' section south side, boys' section on north. Single and double rooms on 1st and 2nd floors. 3rd floor isolation ward, 6 sun parlors, 2 on each floor at extreme northern and southern ends (FH, 9/26/1930, 7) 1934--designated as David King Infirmary by BofV, June 8, 1934, p. 10. Named for David J. King. 1938--used for men 1951--old infirmary (8 rooms) should be converted for rental by College staff (BovV, May 1951, p. 196) 1958--old infirmary still used as dormitory, capacity of 13 (BofV, Sept. 6, 1958, p. 87) [also used for football players according to Dudley Jensen] 1964--old infirmary torn down to make way for new bookstore (had been moved to rear of Morris House) (BofV, May 9, 1964, p. 518-519; FH, 10/16/1964, 4) 1965--King Infirmary 2nd and 3rd floors converted to dormitory rooms (FH, 5/14/1965, 1) 1973--Old King Infirmary renamed James Madison Hall, converted to residence hall (FH, 10/5/1973, 10)
1974--New David J. King Infirmary Built. College Hospital renamed Althea Hunt Residence. (WMN, 5/21/1974, 4; BofV, May 1974, p. 243) 1987--north end porch rebuilt, double hung windows installed. Summer 1987.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Infirmaries. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia