Difference between revisions of "Hunt Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(added content)
 
(added content)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
'''Hunt Hall''', presently a co-ed freshman dormitory, is located at the intersection of Grigsby Drive and South Boundary Street.  It used to function as an infirmary and college hospital.
 
'''Hunt Hall''', presently a co-ed freshman dormitory, is located at the intersection of Grigsby Drive and South Boundary Street.  It used to function as an infirmary and college hospital.
  
In 1930, plans were presented to the Board of Visitors for a new infirmary and a contract was awarded to J.W. Davis of Newport News, Virginia for $69,630 for its construction.  The building was completed by September 5 that same year.  The college hospital was a two and a half story brick building, measuring 135 feet by 60 feet, with  
+
In 1930, plans were presented to the Board of Visitors for a new infirmary and a contract was awarded to J.W. Davis of Newport News, Virginia for $69,630 for its construction.  The building was completed by September 5 that same year.  The college hospital was a two and a half story brick building, measuring 135 feet by 60 feet, with the south side designated for women and the north side for men.  There were some individual rooms but most of the space was made into wards. The central portion between the men's and women's sections were rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, and reading rooms.  Sun porches were located on the upper decks of each end of the building.  The building was designated on June 8, 1934 as the David King Infirmary.   
 
 
 
 
 
• to be located where the garden pool is situated on South Boundary Street, south of Tyler Hall, east of Dining Hall.  Brick, 135' x 60', 2 1/2 stories,  one side for women, other for men.  Some individual rooms, most space made into wards.   Central portion between men's and women's sections to be rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, reading rooms, etcAutomatic elevator, electric signal system in rooms and wards.  Upper decks of porches at each end of building for sun porches.   (FH, 3/7/1930, 1)
 
• foundation nearing completion (FH,  5/2/1030,  1)
 
• contract to J.W. Davis of Newport News for $74,912.86 (BofV, June 1930, p. 271)
 
• completed and open.  Girls' section south side, boys' section on north. Single and double rooms on 1st and 2nd floors.    3rd floor isolation ward, 6 sun parlors, 2 on each floor at extreme northern and  southern  ends  (FH,  9/26/1930,  7)
 
1934--designated as David King Infirmary by BofV, June 8, 1934, p. 10.  Named for David J. King.
 
1938--used for men
 
1951--old infirmary (8  rooms) should be converted for rental by College staff (BovV, May 1951, p. 196)
 
1958--old infirmary still used as dormitory, capacity of 13  (BofV, Sept. 6, 1958, p. 87) [also used for football players according to Dudley Jensen]
 
1964--old infirmary torn down to make way for new bookstore (had been moved to rear of Morris House)    (BofV, May 9, 1964, p. 518-519;  FH,  10/16/1964,  4)
 
1965--King Infirmary 2nd and 3rd floors converted to dormitory rooms  (FH,  5/14/1965,  1)
 
1973--Old King Infirmary renamed James Madison Hall, converted to residence hall    (FH,  10/5/1973,  10)
 
 
 
1974--New David J. King Infirmary BuiltCollege Hospital renamed Althea Hunt Residence.    (WMN, 5/21/1974, 4; BofV, May 1974, p. 243)
 
1987--north end porch rebuilt, double hung windows installed. Summer  1987.
 
  
 +
The infirmary was used for men in 1938 until 1965 when the second and third floors were converted into dormitory rooms.  The infirmary was renamed James Madison Hall in 1973 and was fully converted into a residence hall.  The following year, in 1974, a new David King Infirmary was built and the former college hospital was renamed once more after Althea Hunt and is now referred to as Hunt Hall.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007).  ''Infirmaries''.  Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007).  ''Infirmaries''.  Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia

Revision as of 11:10, 19 April 2007

Hunt Hall, presently a co-ed freshman dormitory, is located at the intersection of Grigsby Drive and South Boundary Street. It used to function as an infirmary and college hospital.

In 1930, plans were presented to the Board of Visitors for a new infirmary and a contract was awarded to J.W. Davis of Newport News, Virginia for $69,630 for its construction. The building was completed by September 5 that same year. The college hospital was a two and a half story brick building, measuring 135 feet by 60 feet, with the south side designated for women and the north side for men. There were some individual rooms but most of the space was made into wards. The central portion between the men's and women's sections were rooms for nurses, diet kitchens, and reading rooms. Sun porches were located on the upper decks of each end of the building. The building was designated on June 8, 1934 as the David King Infirmary.

The infirmary was used for men in 1938 until 1965 when the second and third floors were converted into dormitory rooms. The infirmary was renamed James Madison Hall in 1973 and was fully converted into a residence hall. The following year, in 1974, a new David King Infirmary was built and the former college hospital was renamed once more after Althea Hunt and is now referred to as Hunt Hall.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007). Infirmaries. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia