The Holmes House at the College of William and Mary is located at 308 Jamestown Road. It is a two-story frame, built circa 1921. Around 1922 the house was apparently used as a "Practice House" for the Home Economics Department. It was illustrated as such in the 1922 Colonial Echo, p. 254 (front has since been altered by addition) (see Practice House). Circa 1925-1929 it was the Sigma Alpha Epsilon House (Photos in 1926 Colonial Echo, p. 148, 1927, p. 166).
In 1977, the house was purchased by the Endowment Association from David G.F. Holmes (1986.16 Endowment Association Property, 1981-82) for student residence, July 25, 1977 (Wmsbg, Deed Book 55-332).
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Holmes House, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|