Hicks Property

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 14:10, 13 March 2014 by Emotoo (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Hicks Property

Donated to the College: 1925

Demolished: 1981

Map it for me

The Hicks Property at the College of William and Mary was located on the north side of Richmond road, formerly 127 Richmond Road, and was the next house west of the Western Union Building.

1925--two-story house and lot given to College by Robert Morton Hughes, rented for store house, bookstore. (Board of Visitors, June 1926, p. 119) (Deed Transactions, City of Wmsbg. in 1982.60, Property-- Sales/Purchases, Oct. 7. 1925)

1927--Hicks Building, old frame building, formerly a store and subsequently the office of the Virginia Gazette in 1926, to be replaced by a new brick building, with section for Western Union office (The Flat Hat, 10/14/1927, 1)

1930s--Hicks House rented out

1981--demolished

Photographs

1926--see photo of President's House, Colonial Echo, p. 16

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Hicks Property, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • Board of Visitors minutes April 24-25, 1981, page 72, Resolution W-7 Approval to demolish the Hicks House



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.