Hickory Neck Church (James City County, Va.)
Blisland Parish was established prior to October 1653. The lower church (Hickory Neck) was built between 1734 and 1738 and added onto in 1774. It was adapted for use as a military hospital during the American Revolution. Hickory Neck Church was not mentioned in the vestry minutes after 1780. Thereafter the church building fell into disrepair. It was used as a school and changes were made to the building in 1825 and 1915. It was used for worship by various denominations. Hickory Neck was revived as an Episcopal Church in 1915. Formally renamed All Saints in 1953, but returned to being named Hickory Neck in 1972.
Hickory Neck Church (James City County, Va.) in the SCRC database.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|