OLD GYMNASIUM (1900)
The Old Gymnasium was located southwest of the Wren Building, in line with the west end of the chapel, and 100 feet from the chapel. At June 1892 meeting of the Board of Visitors, President Tyler recommended that "A pavilion should be erected for a modest gymnasium near the college building." A committee was appointed by the Board of Visitors in 1896 to raise the funds necessary for construction. Richard Y. Cook of Philadelphia offered to donate $1,000 for equipment and architect Marion J. Dimmock of Richmond, Virginia, offered to prepare plans and specifications for the building.
The building was originally intended as a memorial to Tazewell Taylor, as mentioned in a letter from Richard Y. Cook to the fundraising committee in March 1897. At a June 1899 meeting, the Board of Visitors decided that as soon as they raised $3600 that construction should start on the Tazewell Taylor building, "to be located as an annex to the physical laboratory wing of the College building (Wren) but separated therefrom by a fire proof wall." The fundraising committee was then empowered to hire an architect and contract work, with the building cost not to exceed $5,300. According to a fundraising letter sent out by R.M. Hughes on August 15, 1898, "The family of the late Tazewell Taylor, of Norfolk, made a large contribution on condition that it should be called "The Tazewell Taylor Gymnasium." Marion J. Dimmock's plans were accepted in 1900 and the committee awarded the contract for building to W.H. Sweaney of Williamsburg for $6074. Work was to be completed by November 1, 1900.
There was a YMCA club room in the gymnasium in 1917 and an armory for the Students' Army Training Corps in 1918. The gymnasium turned into a lecture room building in 1922 and was used by the School of Business Administration, the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship, and the School of Journalism. Six classrooms, professors' offices, the School of law, and the Law Library were also part of the building in 1923, but the Law Library was transferred to new stacks in the College Library in 1929. Citizenship "A" was converted to a post office in 1929, employing students instead of Federal Post Office employees. The post office was large enough for packages and served both men's and women's dormitories, replacing the former dormitory post office system. The U.S. Government intended to establish an official Post Office in the Citizenship Building in October 1929, but this was delayed until January 1, 1930.
The Flat Hat offices moved to new rooms in 1929 (Citizenship Number Two) and the business department occupied the old editorial and news office. Station A, the College Post Office, was set to be discontinued on December 31, 1930 and students had to start receiving their mail from the city Post Office.
The gymnasium was demolished in 1931.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Old Gymnasium (1900). Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia