Difference between revisions of "Greenhouse"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
Line 19: Line 19:
[[Category: College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings Past]]
[[Category: College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings Past]]

Revision as of 15:51, 9 September 2019

Greenhouse, circa 1915

Constructed: 1900s

Map it for me

Note: Location on map is approximate.

The Greenhouse at the College of William and Mary was located north of the Wren Building and west of the President's House garage. It was built in the early 1900s and was 15' x 24' in size with a glass roof.

In 1908, the Board of Visitors appropriated funds for improvements "for Greenhouse for Prof. Ritchie 750.00." (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, June 1908 p. 171) The Greenhouse was mentioned in President Lyon G. Tyler's report to the Board of Visitors in February 1909. (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, February 1909, p. 181).

The Greenhouse can be seen on a map of campus dated April 15, 1930, produced by the South-Eastern Underwriters Association in the Special Collections Research Center.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • University Archives Photograph Collection:
    • P1985.61, circa 1915
    • P1989.259 (scan #B3245A4)


  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Greenhouse, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.