Difference between revisions of "Graduate House"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 22:||Line 22:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:William Mary Buildings Past]][[Category:College Stub Building Box Needed]][[Category:Ref]][[Category:College Stub]]
Latest revision as of 15:52, 9 September 2019
The Graduate House was located at 234 Jamestown Road. The house was demolished on May 20-21, 2013.
The four bedroom, 3 bath house was built in 1913. On July 15, 1932, the College of William and Mary acquired the house by a purchase and exchange of $7,875 plus College Terrace lots 36 and 37, then valued at $2,125.
Other names for the Graduate House were the Secretary’s House (when it provided housing for single women employed by the College), the Italian House (as part of the Language Residence Houses), and Sigma Nu House (a fraternity).
It became the Graduate House in 2000, after the Office of the Dean of Research and Graduate Studies moved in. It also housed the Ombudsperson Office for Arts and Science and the campus office for VIMS.
In the 1960’s, women faculty living in the house included Millie Barrett West, Rosemary MacLellan, Joann Slaughter, Herta Anna Knoll, Marguerite Ann Stuart, Anne S. Tyler, Dorothy W. Dyer, Liliane Krebs, Lestine Rebecca Johnston, Marie E. Strohhofer, and Elaine Alper.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- College Directory Collection
- Property Inventory Control Program
- City of Williamsburg Property Tax Records
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|