Goronwy Owen was Master of the Grammar School at the College of William and Mary from 1758-1760. Born in Anglesea, North Wales on January 13, 1722, Owen attended Jesus College, Oxford from 1742-1745. In 1745, Owen was made a curate and spent the next ten years as a school teacher and writing poetry. In order to make a better life for himself in America, Owen took the post as Master of the Grammar School on April, 7, 1758, and later married Mrs. Clayton, sister to Reverend Thomas Dawson, president of the College. Owen resigned his position as head of the Grammar School in 1760 after he and Jacob Rowe, professor of moral philosophy, were involved in a fight between the students at the College and the young men of Williamsburg. In 1761, Owen was made rector of St. Andrew's Parrish in Brunswick County, Virginia, a position he served until his death in July 1769. A Bicentennial Celebration for Goronwy Owen took place at William Mary from February 28, 1969 through March 1, 1969. The celebration included poetry readings from Owens works, Welsh music, an exhibit on Welsh and Goronwy Owem memorabilia, and installation of the Cymmrodorion plaque at Earl Gregg Swem Library.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Goronwy Owen Bicentennial Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- 'Owen, Goronwy', University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- Owen, Goronwy, University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|