George R. Healy
George R. Healy was a faculty member at the College of William and Mary serving as: Professor of History, 1971-1986; Vice President for Academic Affairs, 1971-1983; Provost, 1979-1986; Acting President, 1985; Professor of History, Emeritus, 1986-; and Acting Director of the Institute of Early American History and Culture, 1990-1992. Healy received the Thomas Jefferson Award in 1987.
Healy assumed the role of acting president after Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. resigned to assume leadership of Winterthur Museum and Garden in Wilmington, Delaware on January 9, 1985, and before Paul Verkuil assumed the presidency on June 30, 1985.
The following was sent by President Taylor Reveley on October 11, 2010 via a William and Mary Faculty and Staff email:
"There will be a memorial service for George Robert Healy on Sunday, October 24, 2010 at 1 p.m. in the Wren Chapel, with a reception thereafter in the Great Hall.
"Dr. Healy was the College's Acting President in 1985, Provost from 1979 to 1986, and Vice President for Academic Affairs from 1971 to 1979. George was a vital part of William & Mary for many years. This is an occasion to join in remembering him and his time among us."
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- George R. Healy, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library
- SCRC File.
In the News
- George R. Healy's obituary
- Articles from The Flat Hat are available from the W&M Digital Archive.
- Chosen to replace Jones as new Academic VP (Flat Hat, 9/4/1971, 15.)
- Reviews general first impressions of W&M (Flat Hat, 9/24/1971, 1.)
- Vice president for academic affairs (Alumni Gazette, October 1971, 6. [picture])
- Attends meeting at MIT (C, 3/2/1971, 6.)
- Explains reorganization (Alumni Gazette, Aug. 1974, 9.)
- Memo explaining Buckley Amendment (William & Mary News, 11/26/1974, 6.)
- Attending launching ceremonies at the Newberry Library (William & Mary News, 6/29/1976, 3.)
- Report to National Development Council (Alumni Gazette, May 1977, insert 4.)
- Makes opening remarks at Conference on Nuclear and Space Radiation Effects (William & Mary News, 7/19/1977, 2.)
- Pictured (Alumni Gazette, August 1977, 1.)
- Participates in "New South" television series (William & Mary News, 11/29/1977, 2.; Alumni Gazette, December 1977, 1; Flat Hat, 12/2/1977, 1, 2.)
- Accepts Livingston's resignation as dean (Alumni Gazette, March 1978, 8.)
- Opts for Currie (Alumni Gazette, April 1979, 6.)
- Denies Rigelman tenure (Flat Hat, 4/4/1980, 2 [picture])
- Pictured (Alumni Gazette, March 1981, 32.)
- Ranking scholars (William & Mary News, 5/17/1983, 3 [picture])
- Announces resignation (Flat Hat, 12/2/1983, 1.)
- President announces plans to resign (Alumni Gazette, December 1983, 2 [picture])
- Departure marks end of era for College (Flat Hat, 11/9/1984, 2 [picture])
- To serve as interim president (William & Mary News, 12/14/1984, 1 [picture])
- To stay until June 30, 1986 (William & Mary News, 1/10/1985, 1.)
- To stay another year (Alumni Gazette, March 1985, 3. [picture])
- Will make opening remarks at symposium devoted to "The Crises of Transition in Africa." (William & Mary News, 10/2/1985, 1, 2.)
- Intends to retire from provost position this spring (Flat Hat, 11/22/1985, 6.)
- Plans to retire this spring (Flat Hat, 3/21/1986, 3 [picture])
- College salutes years of service (William & Mary News, 4/30/1986, 4 [picture])
- "North to Alaska" (Alumni Gazette, Winter 1987, 26-28 [pictures])
- Receives Jefferson Award (William & Mary News, 2/11/1987, 5, 6 [picture]; Flat Hat 2/13/1987, 1, 3.)
- Upholds tradition (Flat Hat, 2/27/1987, 9, 10.)
- Receives the Thomas Jefferson Award (Alumni Gazette, March 1987, 1 [picture])
- Named president of Longwood College (William & Mary News, 6/3/1987, 2.) (Healy was named to a one-year term as interim president)
- Two W&M retirees now guide fortunes of Old Dominion University (William & Mary News, 2/1/1989, 4 [picture]) (Healy was named interim Executive Vice President of ODU)
- Who's in charge here? (at ODU) (Alumni Gazette, March 1989, 18.)
- Heads Institute of Early American History and Culture (Alumni Gazette, December 1990, 15.)
- Charter Day activities (William & Mary News, 2/6/1991, 5 [picture])
- Memorial Service for wife in Wren chapel (William & Mary News, 1/16/1998, 2.)
|Preceded by||College of William and Mary President||Succeeded by|
|Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr.
September 1, 1971 - January 9, 1985
|George R. Healy
January 10, 1985 - June 30, 1985
|Davis Young Paschall
July 1, 1985 - January 7, 1992
|College of William and Mary Provost||Succeeded by|
|George R. Healy
1979 - 1986
1986 - 1994
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|