George Preston Coleman (1870-1948)
This page is currently under construction. Please check back for updates. 04/06/2017.
George Preston Coleman(1870-1948) was born May 4, 1870 to Cynthia Beverley Tucker Washington Coleman and Dr. Charles Washington Coleman (1826-1894).
From the age of 11, he was one of the few students who received private instruction from the College of William and Mary President Benjamin Ewell during the period when the college was closed (1881-1888) due to lack of funds. He continued studies at W&M for two years after it reopened. He worked as an engineer in the Midwest and returned to Virginia as assistant highway commissioner and from 1911 to 1923 was commissioner. He was a leader in the development of the Virginia highway system and he organized the Virginia Road Builders Association.
Coleman was a member of the Board of Visitors of the college and was vice rector. He was mayor of Williamsburg from 1929 to 1934. He became president of the Peninsula Bank & Trust Company of Williamsburg in 1927 which position he held at the time of his death. In 1942, on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Society of Alumni, Mr. Coleman delivered the alumni oration in which he cited his grandfather, Nathaniel Beverley Tucker, who had made the first oration in 1842. On this occasion, Mr. Coleman received the alumni medallion and, two days later, the College conferred upon him an honorary Doctorate of Law.
Materials in the Special Collections Research Center
George P. Coleman in SCRC Database
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|