The Flight Club (1931-1935) at the College of William and Mary is believed to be the first such club at a college. The Flight Club won the Loening Trophy in inter-collegiate flying competition in 1933 and a second prize of $100 in 1934. As of 1978, the Loening Trophy with William and Mary inscribed on it was at the National Space Museum. William and Mary was one of the few colleges with a Department of Aeronautics.
View Flight Club Trophy from the University Archives Artifact Collection at 
View Flight Club Patch from the University Archives Artifact Collection at 
- Flight School, University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
Material in the SCRC
- University Archives Artifact Collection
- Student Organizations Collection, Flying Club
- Flight School, University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary
- The Flat Hat
- Office of the President
- B. Traver Hulse Scrapbook
- University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, W.L. McCutchen.
|A note about the information in this wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|