Difference between revisions of "Dining Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Image unavailable copy.jpg |thumb|right|Dining Hall<p>Constructed: 1913</p>
+
[[Image:Dining Hall interior.jpg |thumb|right|Dining Hall in 1918<p>Constructed: 1913</p>
<p>Opened: 1914</p>Fire: 1925<p>[http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2602695654928681727&q=Campus%2BCenter,%2BWilliamsburg,%2BVA&gl=us Map it for me]</p> Note: Location on map is approximate.]]
+
<p>Opened: 1914</p>Fire: 1925<p>[https://maps.google.com/maps?q=108+Jamestown+Road,+Williamsburg,+VA&ll=37.269242,-76.708155&spn=0.001225,0.00284&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=108+Jamestown+Rd,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&gl=us&t=h&z=19 Map it for me]</p> Note: Location on map is approximate.]]
 
The '''Dining Hall''', which opened for the fall session of 1914, was located behind the Ewell and Taliaferro dormitories.  In 1913, the state legislature asked for an appropriation of $14,700 for a new dining hall to accommodate 240 students with new kitchen equipment that cooked by steam.  The [[College of William and Mary]] converted the previous dining hall and kitchen into dormitory rooms for 46 students, which cost around $5,000.
 
The '''Dining Hall''', which opened for the fall session of 1914, was located behind the Ewell and Taliaferro dormitories.  In 1913, the state legislature asked for an appropriation of $14,700 for a new dining hall to accommodate 240 students with new kitchen equipment that cooked by steam.  The [[College of William and Mary]] converted the previous dining hall and kitchen into dormitory rooms for 46 students, which cost around $5,000.
  
 
The Dining Hall that opened in 1914 was a large, one-story brick building that cost about $10,000 to construct.  The main dining room of the dining facility was spacious and well-lit, with a seating capacity for approximately 250 people.  There was a private dining room in the rear of the facility with a pantry and a commodious, well-equipped kitchen.  The kitchen had a six-unit range, a food elevator, a tea and coffee urn, six or eight steam vegetable and meat cookers, as well as an improved dish washer.  In the basement was a storeroom, a refrigerator, a bake room, and a bread mixing room with a power bread mixer.
 
The Dining Hall that opened in 1914 was a large, one-story brick building that cost about $10,000 to construct.  The main dining room of the dining facility was spacious and well-lit, with a seating capacity for approximately 250 people.  There was a private dining room in the rear of the facility with a pantry and a commodious, well-equipped kitchen.  The kitchen had a six-unit range, a food elevator, a tea and coffee urn, six or eight steam vegetable and meat cookers, as well as an improved dish washer.  In the basement was a storeroom, a refrigerator, a bake room, and a bread mixing room with a power bread mixer.
  
There were a few dances held in the Dining Hall in 1920.  A proposal for a new dining hall to be named Commonwealth Hall was included in the fundraising publication "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia" (1924). In 1925, the kitchen was damaged in a fire which destroyed the [[Penniman Building]] behind the dining hall.  Governor Trinkle authorized the construction of a new dining hall after the fire (see [[Trinkle Hall]].  The Dining Hall has been incorporated into the [[Campus Center]], and the present Marketplace serving area and the Atrium have replaced the old Dining Hall.
+
There were a few dances held in the Dining Hall in 1920.  A proposal for a new dining hall to be named Commonwealth Hall was included in the fundraising publication [https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/17494 ''The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia'']. In 1925, the kitchen was damaged in a fire which destroyed the [[Penniman Building]] behind the dining hall.  Governor Trinkle authorized the construction of a new dining hall after the fire (see [[Trinkle Hall]]).  The Dining Hall has been incorporated into the [[Campus Center]], and the present Marketplace serving area and the Atrium have replaced the old Dining Hall.
  
 
==Photographs==
 
==Photographs==
 
*1916--[[Colonial Echo]], p. 10
 
*1916--[[Colonial Echo]], p. 10
 
*[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/606 Taps], interior p. 22
 
*[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/606 Taps], interior p. 22
*Exterior and aerial photographs in the [http://scdb.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6614 Judson Paul Essex Papers], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary. Also includes the [[Deanery]] and [[Reves Center|Tyler Hall]].
+
*Exterior and aerial photographs in the [http://scdb.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6614 Paul Essex Judson Papers], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary. Also includes the [[Deanery]] and [[Reves Center|Tyler Hall]].
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
*University Archives Buildings File (2007),  ''Dining Hall'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
+
 
* "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," Endowment Association, 1924, p. 23.
+
* "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," College Development. Endowment Association, Box 23, Folder 2, 1924, p. 23.
  
 
{{helpmsg}}
 
{{helpmsg}}
 
{{infodisclaimer}}
 
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings Past]]
+
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings Past]]

Latest revision as of 17:15, 9 September 2019

Dining Hall in 1918

Constructed: 1913

Opened: 1914

Fire: 1925

Map it for me

Note: Location on map is approximate.

The Dining Hall, which opened for the fall session of 1914, was located behind the Ewell and Taliaferro dormitories. In 1913, the state legislature asked for an appropriation of $14,700 for a new dining hall to accommodate 240 students with new kitchen equipment that cooked by steam. The College of William and Mary converted the previous dining hall and kitchen into dormitory rooms for 46 students, which cost around $5,000.

The Dining Hall that opened in 1914 was a large, one-story brick building that cost about $10,000 to construct. The main dining room of the dining facility was spacious and well-lit, with a seating capacity for approximately 250 people. There was a private dining room in the rear of the facility with a pantry and a commodious, well-equipped kitchen. The kitchen had a six-unit range, a food elevator, a tea and coffee urn, six or eight steam vegetable and meat cookers, as well as an improved dish washer. In the basement was a storeroom, a refrigerator, a bake room, and a bread mixing room with a power bread mixer.

There were a few dances held in the Dining Hall in 1920. A proposal for a new dining hall to be named Commonwealth Hall was included in the fundraising publication The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia. In 1925, the kitchen was damaged in a fire which destroyed the Penniman Building behind the dining hall. Governor Trinkle authorized the construction of a new dining hall after the fire (see Trinkle Hall). The Dining Hall has been incorporated into the Campus Center, and the present Marketplace serving area and the Atrium have replaced the old Dining Hall.

Photographs

References

  • "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," College Development. Endowment Association, Box 23, Folder 2, 1924, p. 23.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.