Dillard Complex

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 16:50, 8 June 2015 by Smbookman (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dillard Complex

Acquired by the College: 1980

Alternative Name: James Blair Terrace

Closed: 2006

Map it for me

The Dillard Complex, also known as James Blair Terrace, is located approximately three miles from the main campus of the College of William and Mary on Ironbound Road. The Complex was formerly part of Eastern State Hospital. The College leased James Blair Terrace buildings #42 and #43 and sixteen acres of land from Eastern State Hospital for student residences between the years of 1965 and 1980. The College assumed title to buildings #42, #43, #46, #47, and #49 as well as 38 acres of land to be renovated and modernized for student housing in 1980. Four former physicians' residences were converted to graduate student housing over the summer of that same year.

The buildings were collectively renamed the Dillard Complex in 1982 and the individual buildings were named as follows: #42, Hughes Hall, after Robert Morton Hughes; #43, Munford Hall, after Mary Cooke Branch Munford, the first female member of the Board of Visitors from 1920-1924; #46, Alexander Galt House; #47, Gabriel Galt House; #48, Minson Galt House; #49, Patrick Galt House. The 19th Hole, a small convenience store financed by Shamrock, opened in the basement of Munford Hall during the exam week of the 1983 fall semester.

The Dillard Complex had been used for undergraduate housing before its closing in May of 2006. The Jamestown Residences (Jamestown North and South), completed in 2006, now house students that would otherwise have lived in the Dillard Complex.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.