|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|
The Dudley Digges House is located at 524 Prince George Street in Williamsburg, Virginia. Believed to be built in 1717, the home is named after Dudley Digges, a local member of Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg, who may have been an Uncle to the famous Revolutionary War Hero Dudley Digges of Yorktown. More information about the house's history can be found at http://www.geocities.com/quantpsy/williamsburg/other/other178.htm.
- Between 1763 and 1765, the house may have been used by English Philanthropists to Christianize local slave and free black children.
- In 1926, the house was bought to be used as a dormitory for Methodist girls attending William and Mary. The Building was renamed Brown Hall in recognition of the major benefactors, Mrs. Jane Brown and Cornelia Brown.
- In 1930, With the approval of the Board of Visitors, William and Mary agreed to buy the house and move it to its present location on Prince George Street.
- In 1939, the house was renamed "Prince George House" after the College built the present Brown Hall at the corner of North Boundary Sreet and Prince George Street.
- From 1940 to 1988, Digges was used to house both faculty and students.
- In 1988, the College began using Digges to house its Military Science Department and Army ROTC
- Myers, Terry, "This Old House: Moved, Mislabeled, and Misplaced, Building at the College dates to 1700s," The Virginia Gazette, 2004/6/19, pp. 1A, 12A-13A.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Brown Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.