The Deanery, also known as the Steward's House, the Rear Dormitory, and the Long House, is a two-story brick building located east of Trinkle Hall. The land and the Deanery building were purchased on June 30, 1894 by the College of William and Mary after renting the property since 1890. The College passed a resolution that authorized Robert M. Hughes to pay Mrs. Catherine Long $2,000 for the purchase of the Long property, which included the residence building (soon to become the Deanery) and the twelve acres of land more or less adjoining the College property. It became the home of the steward of the College and his family in 1896.
The Dew Drop Inn tea room, open to the public, was located in the basement of the Deanery in 1920, and was operated by the Edith Baer Home Economics Club and the YWCA. The Deanery became a women's dormitory in 1924.
Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect at the time, was quoted in the College Papers circa 1927 saying "The Deanery is a small brick building stuccoed on the outside and painted yellow. It is located just east of the new dining hall, and has no significance other than a high English basement and a castellated parapet..."
The Deanery was torn down in the summer of 1930, a fish pond next to Trinkle Hall was built in its cellar hole in 1930.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Deanery. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia