Difference between revisions of "Dean of the College"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
[[Category:William Mary Administrative Office]][[Category:Archon done]]
Revision as of 15:50, 9 September 2019
In 1909, the Dean of the College was created at the College of William and Mary. The first Dean of the College was John Lesslie Hall, Professor of English and History at the College from 1888-1928. Hall served as Dean of the College from 1909-1920. Kremer J. Hoke, Professor of Education from 1920-1944, was Dean of the College from 1922-1938.
In 1938, the Dean of the College was renamed the Dean of the Faculty with James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, as its first Dean from 1938-1946. In 1946, the Dean of the College was reestablished with Sharvy Umbeck, Professor of Sociology from 1938-1949, as Dean from 1946-1949. Nelson Marshall, Professor of Biology from 1949-1951, was the next Dean of the College. When Nelson resigned in 1951, the Dean of the Faculty was reestablished and took over the duties of the Dean of the College with James Wilkinson Miller as Dean from 1951-1952. In 1964, the Dean of the College was reestablished again for the last time with Dr. W. Melville Jones, Professor of English from 1928-1971, as Dean. The Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was also created in 1964, and since 1967 it continues to meet the needs of the departments and programs within Arts and Sciences.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Dean of the College in the SCRC database.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|