Difference between revisions of "Davis House"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "at the College of William and Mary" to "at William & Mary")
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
''Davis House''
+
[[Image:Davis House.JPG |thumb|right|Davis House<p>Constructed: 1925</p>
 
+
<p>Acquired by the College: 1930</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=110+North+Boundary,+Williamsburg+VA&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=110+N+Boundary+St,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&gl=us&ei=QkZoS_LzLYiENvzl8IgG&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA&z=16 Map it for me]</p>]]
Location:    110 North Boundary Street
+
The '''Davis House''' at [[William & Mary]] is located at 110 North Boundary Street. The property contained a house and a bungalow on the Blacksmith Lot.  The bungalow was probably on the site of the [[College Apartments]], 112 N Boundary Street. The house was likely built between July 1925 and January 1928. In 1928, [[W.A.R. Goodwin]] purchased the house from E.T. Davis and rented it to the [[College of William and Mary]] for use as faculty housing.  In 1930, the College purchased the property from the Williamsburg Holding Corporation. In 1987, the house became the Office of Special Programs.
 
 
July 1925-January 1928--house built between these dates  (see Aerial photos  1987.215 and P1977.333).
 
 
 
House and Bungalow on Blacksmith Lot.  Bungalow probably on site of College Apartments,  
 
112 N. Boundary Street.
 
 
 
1928--purchased by W.A.R. Goodwin from E.T. Davis (W.A.R.G. to J.A.C.C, March 24, 1928, 1982.45 Budget--Property--Davis House)
 
 
.. rented by College for faculty housing (1982.45 Budget—Property--Davis House)
 
   
 
1930--purchased by College from Williamsburg Holding Corporation(Colonial Williamsburg), March 29, 1930. (Consolidated Land Register)
 
 
 
1987--Office of Special Programs (WMN, 8/26/1987, 1)
 
  
 +
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 +
*A [http://guides.swem.wm.edu/wm guide] specifically for researching topics related to William & Mary is available.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Davis House and Property'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Davis House and Property'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  
 +
{{helpmsg}}
 +
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
----
+
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]]
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]
 

Latest revision as of 16:42, 9 September 2019

Davis House

Constructed: 1925

Acquired by the College: 1930

Map it for me

The Davis House at William & Mary is located at 110 North Boundary Street. The property contained a house and a bungalow on the Blacksmith Lot. The bungalow was probably on the site of the College Apartments, 112 N Boundary Street. The house was likely built between July 1925 and January 1928. In 1928, W.A.R. Goodwin purchased the house from E.T. Davis and rented it to the College of William and Mary for use as faculty housing. In 1930, the College purchased the property from the Williamsburg Holding Corporation. In 1987, the house became the Office of Special Programs.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • A guide specifically for researching topics related to William & Mary is available.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Davis House and Property, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.