Difference between revisions of "Crim Dell"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Crim Dell''' is a small pond located on the section of road connecting Landrum Drive and Blair Road, between old and new campus.  The Crim Dell Meadow lies between the foot of the [[Sunken Garden]] (at its west end) and the Crim Dell.  The [[College of William and Mary]] decided in 1948 that their lily pond had become a "stagnated mud hole" and needed restoration.  However, the Crim Dell was not renovated and relandscaped until 1964.  The Crim Dell Bridge was built over the lily pond in 1965.  The landscaping project was completed in 1966 through funds provided by Class of 1964 alumni and friends.  The Crim Dell was dedicated on May 7, 1966 and was named for John W.H. Crim of the Class of 1901.  The [[Wildflower Refuge Amphitheater]] was built across the road from the Crim Dell in 1979.
+
The '''Crim Dell''' is a small pond located on the section of road connecting Landrum Drive and Blair Road, between old and new campus.  The Crim Dell Meadow lies between the foot of the [[Sunken Garden]] (at its west end) and the Crim Dell.  The [[College of William and Mary]] decided in 1948 that their lily pond had become a "stagnated mud hole" and needed restoration.  However, the Crim Dell was not renovated and relandscaped until 1964.  The Crim Dell Bridge was built over the lily pond in 1965.  The landscaping project was completed in 1966 through funds provided by Class of 1964 alumni and friends.  The Crim Dell was dedicated on May 7, 1966 and was named for John W.H. Crim of the Class of 1901.([http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/issues/fh19660513.pdf Flat Hat 13 May 1966], p. 11) The [[Wildflower Refuge Amphitheater]] was built across the road from the Crim Dell in 1979.
  
 
==Sculpture==
 
==Sculpture==
Line 20: Line 20:
 
==References==
 
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Crim Dell'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Crim Dell'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 +
 +
==Need help?== 
 +
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
 +
 +
Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
  
 
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
Line 27: Line 32:
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
|}
----
+
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Landmarks]]
+
 
 +
[[Category:College of William and Mary Landmarks]][[Category:Ref]]

Revision as of 15:22, 3 August 2009

The Crim Dell is a small pond located on the section of road connecting Landrum Drive and Blair Road, between old and new campus. The Crim Dell Meadow lies between the foot of the Sunken Garden (at its west end) and the Crim Dell. The College of William and Mary decided in 1948 that their lily pond had become a "stagnated mud hole" and needed restoration. However, the Crim Dell was not renovated and relandscaped until 1964. The Crim Dell Bridge was built over the lily pond in 1965. The landscaping project was completed in 1966 through funds provided by Class of 1964 alumni and friends. The Crim Dell was dedicated on May 7, 1966 and was named for John W.H. Crim of the Class of 1901.(Flat Hat 13 May 1966, p. 11) The Wildflower Refuge Amphitheater was built across the road from the Crim Dell in 1979.

Sculpture

“A 4-foot-tall sculpture of a blue heron that stood in the Crim Dell pond at the College of William and Mary for 19 years is missing. The art, estimated to cost between $8,000-$10,000 was last seen on the Friday that the remnants from Ernesto struck the area. “It could be at the bottom of the Crim Dell,” William and Mary spokesman Brian Whitson said. Facilities workers will examine the area to see whether the piece was pushed over, he said. The university filed a police report on it, calling it theft. Made by William and Mary alumnus David Turner, the statue also includes cattails attached to it and a turtle on the base.” (Daily Press, 16 September 2006, Buildings and Grounds--Crim Dell, University Archives Subject File Collection) The heron was found at the bottom of Crim Dell, the police said it was vandalized but nothing further.

Photographs

  • University Archives Photograph Collection
  • Colonial Echo, 1967, p. 4; 1973, p. 3; 1977, p. 1; 1983, p. 16

In the News

A number of stories have been published in The Flat Hat about the Crim Dell over the years. You may wish to consult the card catalog to the Flat Hat, Alumni Gazette, and William and Mary News in the Special Collections Research Center for all references.

Further Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Crim Dell, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.