Difference between revisions of "Cove Amphitheater"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
Line 4: Line 4:
  
 
==Materials in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
==Materials in the Special Collections Research Center==
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6514 University Archives Subject File Collection]], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.  
+
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6514 University Archives Subject File Collection]], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.  
  
  

Latest revision as of 16:12, 9 September 2019

In 1957, a new amphitheater opened near Lake Matoaka called the Cove Amphitheater. The Cove was built specifically for a new theater presentation called The Founders, a production by Paul Green, which depicted the struggles of the early Jamestown settlers and the lives of John Smith, Pocahontas, and John Rolfe.

The Cove included wooden bench seats and an asphalt stage. Construction began on the new theater in late 1956 and was completed by May 1957. It had capacity seating for 1700 guests. The cost of constructing the Cove was $87,109.91 and was funded by the Jamestown Corporation. After a disastrous 1958 season due to low attendance at both the Lake Matoaka Amphitheater and the Cove, the Jamestown Corporation decided to close down The Founders. When Jamestown Corporation went out of business in 1976, the ownership of both amphitheaters reverted to the College of William and Mary. By the 1980s, the dressing building of the Cove was used by the Dept. of Fine Arts as a sculpture studio (Buildings and Grounds--Lake Matoaka and Matoaka Woods--Amphitheater (Common Glory), University Archives Subject File Collection).

Materials in the Special Collections Research Center



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.