Cove Amphitheater

From Special Collections Wiki
Revision as of 15:25, 8 April 2012 by Acschi (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

In 1957, a new amphitheater opened near Lake Matoaka called the Cove Amphitheater. The Cove was built specifically for a new theater presentation called The Founders, a production by Paul Green which depicted the struggles of the early Jamestown settlers and the lives of John Smith, Pocahontas, and John Rolfe.

The Cove included wooden bench seats and an asphalt stage. Construction began on the new theater in the Fall of 1956, completed in May 1957, and had a capacity seating for 1700 guests. The cost of constructing the Cove was $87,109.91, and was funded by the Jamestown Corporation. After a disastrous 1958 season due to low attendance at both the Lake Matoaka Amphitheater and the Cove, the Jamestown Corporation decided to close down The Founders. When Jamestown Corporation went out of business in 1976, the ownership of both the Cove and Lake Motoaka amphitheaters reverted to the College of William and Mary. By the 1980s, the dressing building of the Cove was used by the Dept. of Fine Arts as a sculpture studio (Buildings and Grounds--Lake Matoaka and Matoaka Woods--Amphitheater (Common Glory), University Archives Subject File Collection).

Materials in the Special Collections Research Center


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.