College Woods

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The College Woods, located on the northwestern side of the College of William and Mary campus, originally totaled around 1200 acres when it was developed by the College and the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C) between 1933 and 1934. Dubbed Matoaka Park, the College Woods was intended for the enjoyment and education of both students and Williamsburg citizens. Over time, the woods have been used for classes in botany, biology, ecology, and ornithology. In 1934, Player's Dell, a retreat for concerts, plays, and other activities, was created next to Lake Matoaka. Walking trails, bridges, boathouses, and horse trails were added over time. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, a portion of the College Woods was cut down due to both the rapid construction of buildings on the New Campus and an infestation of beetles killing the majority of the pine trees in the forest (Buildings and Grounds--Lake Matoaka and Matoaka Woods, University Archives Subject File Collection). In the 1990s, with the development of Route 199 and Monticello Avenue, located just west of campus, the College tried to save the woods from further development by buying adjacent land and designating 300 acres of the College Woods as a nature preserve. [1]


Material in the Special Collections Research Center


References

  • Buildings and Grounds--Lake Matoaka and Matoaka Woods, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Marzoff, Melanie and Feldbaum, Maureen, 2002: Social and policy aspects of development in Williamsburg, College of William and Mary, http://www.wm.edu/as/kecklab/studentresearch/researchwm/02e/index.php, accessed 22 March 2011.

External Links

In the News

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.