The College Mace is carried by the president of the Student Assembly at all official College of William and Mary convocations as a symbol of the authority vested in the rector of the College and delegated to the president of the College. As such, it always precedes the rector and the president.
Designed and handcrafted by the Gorham Company of New York, the mace is made of sterling silver. It was given to the College by alumni and students at Charter Day on February 8, 1923, upon the 230th anniversary of the granting of the Royal Charter.
The mace is four feet long. Its 12 sections commemorate many of the people and events in the College's over 300-year history. They include: an American eagle, symbolizing liberty and freedom of thought; a sphere, symbolizing unity; the oat of arms of the College; arms representing the early chancellors of the College; the seven seals of Colonial Virginia; full-size reproductions of three College medals; the names of 38 distinguished alumni; the earth, with the continents outlined; the names of the colonial governors of Virginia; Indian head emblems commemorating the Indian School, one of the three departments of the College before the American Revolution; and the names of the presidents of the College.
When not in use, the mace is placed in the Earl Gregg Swem Library under the care of the University Archivist.