College Cemetery

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 20:45, 27 August 2013 by Acschi (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
The College Cemetery is located on Blair Road, east of Blow Gymnasium (now Blow Memorial Hall).
College Cemetery, 2009

The cemetery was established at the faculty meeting of January 18, 1859, for the use of professors and their families, and students. At the same meeting, President Benjamin S. Ewell was given permission to transfer the remains of his father and other family members to the cemetery, which he did. The dedication ceremony for the cemetery was held in 1859.

On June 24, 1871, George Turner, a student who died of mumps, was buried there. Benjamin S. Ewell was buried there in 1894. In 1925, the graves were remarked, the wall was under construction, and the Ewell monument was erected.

Others buried within the College Cemetery are: Elizabeth Ewell; Beverly S. Scott; Elizabeth Ewell Scott; Rebecca Lowndes Ewell; Thomas Tully Lynch Snead, a professor of mathematics at the College who died in 1872; Lucian Minor, a professor who died in 1858; and a student named Thornton. In 2007, the remains of College benefactors Wendy and Emery Reves were interred in the College Cemetery.[1]


Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • A guide specifically for researching topics related to William & Mary is available.
  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • The Flat Hat
  • Records of the Office the President.

Photographs

  • Colonial Echo, 1980, p. 342.
  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder; P1987.185: Annual Memorial Service; P1979.559: Alumni Day, 1939, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

References

  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Celebrating a life: Wendy Reves remembered, W&M News 2 May 2007. Accessed 4 November 2009.

In the News


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.