College Cemetery

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The College Cemetery is located on Blair Road, east of Blow Gymnasium (now Blow Memorial Hall).
College Cemetery, 2009

The cemetery was established at the faculty meeting of January 18, 1859, for the use of professors and their families, and students. At the same meeting, President Benjamin S. Ewell was given permission to transfer the remains of his father and other family members to the cemetery, which he did. The dedication ceremony for the cemetery was held in 1859.

On June 24, 1871, George C. Turner, a student who died of mumps, was buried there. Benjamin S. Ewell was buried there in 1894. In 1925, the graves were remarked, the wall was under construction, and the Ewell monument was erected.

Others buried within the College Cemetery are: Benjamin S. Scott, Elizabeth Ewell Scott, Elizabeth Stoddert Ewell (mother of President Ewell), Rebecca Lowndes Ewell (sister of Presdent Ewell), Matilda Southall, Lucian Minor (professor, died 1858), Thomas Tully Lynch Snead (professor of mathematics, died 1872). In 2007, the remains of W&M benefactor Wendy Reves were interred in the College Cemetery. Although his name appears on the tombstone, the remains of her husband, W&M benefactor Emery Reves, remain in Europe (as of 2017). [1]


Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • A guide specifically for researching topics related to William & Mary is available.
  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • The Flat Hat
  • Records of the Office the President.

Photographs

  • Colonial Echo, 1980, p. 342.
  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder; P1987.185: Annual Memorial Service; P1979.559: Alumni Day, 1939, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

References

  • "Buildings and Grounds--College Cemetery" Folder, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Celebrating a life: Wendy Reves remembered, W&M News 2 May 2007. Accessed 4 November 2009.
  • Herbert Ganter Papers, Box 28, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

In the News

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.