College Camp was a term used to describe the camp set up by the Virginia militia during the American Revolution from 1775-1781. It was located to the west of the Wren Building around what is today the Sunken Garden. A bronze plaque recognizing the College Camp is currently located on one of the brick columns by the steps at the head of the Sunken Garden. It was dedicated at Homecoming in 1976 and was given by the class of 1976 and the Society of the Alumni.
Background on College Camp
In September 1775, Colonel Patrick Henry came to Williamsburg, Virginia to set up a camp for the 5th Regiment of the Virginia Line behind the College, and they continued to be stationed there until September 1776 when they were replaced by the 7th Regiment. Other units stayed at the College Camp from 1775-1781. During this period, several units left the camp to join George Washington's army in the North. Troops also camped at College Camp before the Battle of Yorktown in 1781.
Text of Plaque
"On this site in September 1775 Colonel Patrick Henry established camp grounds for Virginia troops who were to rendezvous and train at Williamsburg. Several Virginia regisments left here in 1776 and 1777 to join General George Washington's army in the North In 1777 students formed a College company with the president, Rev. James Madison, as captain. Troops camped here before the Battle of Yorktown in 1781. Presented by the Society of the Alumni, 1976."
There are several mentions of the College Camp in the Virginia Gazette from the following issues:
- September 22, 1775
- September 29, 1775
- October 13, 1775
- November 10, 1775
- July 19, 1776
- August 10, 1776
- September 7, 1776
- September 20, 1776
- September 27, 1776
- January 24, 1777
- April 4, 1777
- August 22, 1777
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Alumni Association Records, College Camp, Series 5, Box 1, Folder 3
- Buildings and Grounds--College Camp in the University Archives Subject File Collection
- In the News, William and Mary News, vol 5, no. 5, October 5, 1976, page 1. Also available in the William & Mary Digital Archive at .
- Parade, Blue Hens Highlight Weekend, Flat Hat, vol 66, no. 6, October 8, 1976, page 1. Also available in the William & Mary Digital Archive at .
- College Camp, Series 5, Box 1, Folder 3, Alumni Association Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|