The College of William and Mary participated in the National College Bowl, a quiz show that tested both general knowledge and quick reasoning skills. The show was taped at the CBS Studio in New York City. William and Mary took part in two nationally televised tournaments in 1960 and 1966. William and Mary faced Purdue University on January 24, 1960 and lost by a score of 240 to 50. In December 1966, William and Mary faced Columbia University and lost by a score of 330 to 60.
Members of the Quiz Bowl team from 1960 include:
- First Team: Tom Lipscomb, Vida Carmen Kenk, Michael A. Glass, and Rex Adelberger
- Alternates: Sandy McNair and John Renickas
- "GE College Bowl TV Show History," http://www.collegebowl.com/gecollegebowlresultrpt.asp, 28 July 2009.
- "William and Mary to Make Television Debut," Flat Hat, January 12, 1960, pg. 1.
- "Four Students to Represent William and Mary on Quiz Bowl," Flat Hat, November 24, 1959, pg. 1.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Flat Hat, November 24, 1959, pg. 1
- Flat Hat, December 1, 1959, pg. 12
- Flat Hat, December 8, 1959, pg. 11
- Flat Hat, January 12, 1960, pg. 1
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|