College Apartments

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 16:01, 9 September 2019 by Sjbelmont (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
Jump to navigation Jump to search
College Apartments, 2010

Constructed: 1930s-1940s

Map it for me

The College Apartments are located at 112 North Boundary Street at the corner of Prince George Street and Boundary Street (the southwest intersection). The College of William and Mary purchased two lots with buildings ("Blacksmith Lot") from Williamsburg Holding Corporation in 1930. Money from the John Burton Payne fund was used to construct a six-family apartment house, costing approximately $39,000. Income from the apartments was paid into the Payne Endowment Fund. Construction of the three story building, complete with four five-room and bath apartments, two four-room aparments, and 3 studio apartments, progressed satisfactorily and the faculty apartment house was scheduled for completion on October 1, 1941. However, construction was delayed through 1942 due to shortage of labor and materials but it was still fully occupied by then. The total cost of the College Apartments amounted to $47,305.37 including plans and supervision.

The College Apartments are now home to the American Studies program at the College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.