The College Apartments are located at 112 North Boundary Street at the corner of Prince George Street and Boundary Street (the southwest intersection). The College of William and Mary purcased two lots with buildings from Williamsburg Holding Corporation in 1930. Using funds from John Burton Payne, a six-family apartment house, costing approximately $39,000, was erected on the lots in 1941. The construction of the three story building, complete with four five-room and bath apartments, two four-room aparments, and 3 studio apartments, progressed satifactorily and the faculty apartment house was scheduled for completion on October 1, 1941. However, construction was delayed through 1942 due to shortage of labor and materials but it was still fully occupied by then. The total cost of the College Apartments amounted to $47,305.37 including plans and supervision.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). College Apartments. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia