College Airport

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 14:30, 10 November 2008 by Acschi (talk | contribs) (links, references)

Jump to: navigation, search
College Airplanes

Location: College Airport was located 1 mile northwest from Campus at Ewell Station, Part of city airport. Near present day Airport Road.

Aerial view of College Airport

1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the Department of Aeronautics

1934--student instruction ended at the airport

1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (Board of Visitors, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)

1945--Board of Visitors, February 10, p. 401)

1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be rented to Aviation Service, Inc., Aviation Services, Inc., moved last weekend to College Airport, approximately 1 mile beyond Scott Field, former headquarters. New airport has two runways, each 2800 feet long, 150 feet wide, set in an "x" pattern. Longer and smoother than runways at Scott Field. At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on administrative building and hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as large as that at Scott Field (The Flat Hat, 10/15/1946, 1).

1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory (FH, 10/26/1954, 1) (Board of Visitors, Feb. 11, 1956, p. 230--233)

1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport (The Flat Hat, 1/11/1955, 2)

1967--College Airport closed; poor condition (The Flat Hat, 2/24/1967, 11)

1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (Board of Visitors October 17-18, p. 355)

1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News, 9/18/1985, 1)


References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), College Airport, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.