Difference between revisions of "College Airport"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(links, references)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
Location:  College Airport was located 1 mile northwest from Campus at Ewell Station, Part of city airport. Near present day Airport Road.
 
Location:  College Airport was located 1 mile northwest from Campus at Ewell Station, Part of city airport. Near present day Airport Road.
 
[[Image:College_Airport_aerial.jpg |thumb|right| Aerial view of College Airport ]]
 
[[Image:College_Airport_aerial.jpg |thumb|right| Aerial view of College Airport ]]
1931--hangar built and used for student instruction
+
1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the [[Department of Aeronautics]]
  
 
1934--student instruction ended at the airport
 
1934--student instruction ended at the airport
  
1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (BofV, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)
+
1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (Board of Visitors, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)
  
1945--BofV, February  10, p.  401)
+
1945--Board of Visitors, February  10, p.  401)
  
 
1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be
 
1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be
Line 16: Line 16:
 
Scott Field.  At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on
 
Scott Field.  At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on
 
administrative building  and  hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as  
 
administrative building  and  hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as  
large as that at Scott Field    (FH, 10/15/1946,    1).
+
large as that at Scott Field    ([http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/ The Flat Hat], 10/15/1946,    1).
  
 
1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory  (FH, 10/26/1954,  1)  
 
1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory  (FH, 10/26/1954,  1)  
(BofV, Feb. 11, 1956, p.  230--233)
+
(Board of Visitors, Feb. 11, 1956, p.  230--233)
  
1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport (FH,  1/11/1955,  2)
+
1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport ([http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/ The Flat Hat],  1/11/1955,  2)
  
1967--College Airport closed; poor condition (FH,  2/24/1967,  11)
+
1967--College Airport closed; poor condition ([http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/ The Flat Hat],  2/24/1967,  11)
  
1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (BofV October 17-18, p. 355)
+
1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (Board of Visitors October 17-18, p. 355)
  
1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (WMN,  9/18/1985,  1)
+
1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News,  9/18/1985,  1)
  
  

Revision as of 14:30, 10 November 2008

College Airplanes

Location: College Airport was located 1 mile northwest from Campus at Ewell Station, Part of city airport. Near present day Airport Road.

Aerial view of College Airport

1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the Department of Aeronautics

1934--student instruction ended at the airport

1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (Board of Visitors, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)

1945--Board of Visitors, February 10, p. 401)

1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be rented to Aviation Service, Inc., Aviation Services, Inc., moved last weekend to College Airport, approximately 1 mile beyond Scott Field, former headquarters. New airport has two runways, each 2800 feet long, 150 feet wide, set in an "x" pattern. Longer and smoother than runways at Scott Field. At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on administrative building and hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as large as that at Scott Field (The Flat Hat, 10/15/1946, 1).

1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory (FH, 10/26/1954, 1) (Board of Visitors, Feb. 11, 1956, p. 230--233)

1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport (The Flat Hat, 1/11/1955, 2)

1967--College Airport closed; poor condition (The Flat Hat, 2/24/1967, 11)

1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (Board of Visitors October 17-18, p. 355)

1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News, 9/18/1985, 1)


References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), College Airport, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.