Difference between revisions of "College Airport"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (cleanup)
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[Image:College_Airport_aerial.jpg  |thumb|right|College Airport<p>Constructed: 1931</p><p>Ceded by the College: 1944</p><p>Closed: 1967</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=5609+Richmond+Road,+Williamsburg,+VA%E2%80%8E+&sll=37.33577,-76.721992&sspn=0.058962,0.110378&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=5609+Richmond+Rd,+Williamsburg,+James+City,+Virginia+23188&ll=37.319731,-76.734781&spn=0.007798,0.013797&t=h&z=16 Map it for me]</p>]]
 
The '''College Airport''' was located 1 mile northwest of the [[College of William and Mary]] at Ewell Station, part of the city airport near the present day Airport Road.
 
The '''College Airport''' was located 1 mile northwest of the [[College of William and Mary]] at Ewell Station, part of the city airport near the present day Airport Road.
[[Image:B3614A1.jpg|thumb|right| College Airplanes]]
+
 
 
__TOC__
 
__TOC__
  
 
==Chronology==
 
==Chronology==
[[Image:College_Airport_aerial.jpg |thumb|right| Aerial view of College Airport ]]
 
 
1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the [[Department of Aeronautics]]
 
1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the [[Department of Aeronautics]]
  
Line 31: Line 31:
  
 
1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News,  9/18/1985,  1)
 
1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News,  9/18/1985,  1)
 +
[[Image:B3614A1.jpg|thumb|right| College Airplanes]]
  
 
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''College Airport'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
 
==Material in the SCRC==
 
==Material in the SCRC==
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6624 University Archives Artifact Collection]
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6624 University Archives Artifact Collection]
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7970 Student Organizations Collection], Flying Club
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7970 Student Organizations Collection], Flying Club
*''Flight School'', University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary
+
*''Flight School'', University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary
 
*''The Flat Hat''
 
*''The Flat Hat''
 
*Office of the President
 
*Office of the President
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7680 B. Traver Hulse Scrapbook]
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7680 B. Traver Hulse Scrapbook]
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6617 University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection], W.L. McCutchen.
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6617 University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection], W.L. McCutchen.
 +
*Search the [https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/ W&M Digital Archive] for additional material.
 +
*[http://guides.swem.wm.edu/wm Guide for doing research related to the College of William & Mary]
 +
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database]: search by names, organization, subject, event, etc.
  
==Need help?== 
+
{{helpmsg}}
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
+
{{infodisclaimer}}
 
 
Questions? Contact the SCRC at [mailto:spcoll@wm.edu spcoll@wm.edu] or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
 
 
 
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 
|-
 
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 
|-
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
 
   
 
   
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Landmarks]][[Category:College Stub Building Box Needed]]
+
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Landmarks]][[Category:College Stub]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings Past]]

Latest revision as of 17:15, 9 September 2019

College Airport

Constructed: 1931

Ceded by the College: 1944

Closed: 1967

Map it for me

The College Airport was located 1 mile northwest of the College of William and Mary at Ewell Station, part of the city airport near the present day Airport Road.

Chronology

1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the Department of Aeronautics

1934--student instruction ended at the airport

1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (Board of Visitors, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)

1945--Board of Visitors, February 10, p. 401)

1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be rented to Aviation Service, Inc., Aviation Services, Inc., moved last weekend to College Airport, approximately 1 mile beyond Scott Field, former headquarters. New airport has two runways, each 2800 feet long, 150 feet wide, set in an "x" pattern. Longer and smoother than runways at Scott Field. At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on administrative building and hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as large as that at Scott Field (The Flat Hat, 10/15/1946, 1).

1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory (FH, 10/26/1954, 1) (Board of Visitors, Feb. 11, 1956, p. 230--233)

1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport (The Flat Hat, 1/11/1955, 2)

1967--College Airport closed; poor condition (The Flat Hat, 2/24/1967, 11)

1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (Board of Visitors October 17-18, p. 355)

1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William and Mary News, 9/18/1985, 1)

College Airplanes

Material in the SCRC


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.