Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka
The Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka at the College of William and Mary was organized in 1926 when women students petitioned for permission to erect a lodge on the shore of Lake Matoaka. It called for a cabin of rustic design and furnishing with accommodations for 20 girls, a large living room with open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen to be open in September, 1926. It was to be built of Cypress logs with a kitchen built on the back and around a living room there would be a large balcony where cots will be furnished for sleeping quarters. The plans for construction were delayed due to questions of land. The title was then cleared and construction began after December 1926.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|