Difference between revisions of "Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
Line 7: Line 7:
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings Past]]
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings Past]]

Revision as of 16:00, 9 September 2019

Co-Ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka

Constructed: 1926

Map it for me Note: Location on map is approximate.

The Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka at the College of William and Mary was organized in 1926 when women students petitioned for permission to erect a lodge on the shore of Lake Matoaka. It called for a cabin of rustic design and furnishings with accommodations for 20 girls, a large living room with an open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen to be opened in September 1926. It was to be constructed of Cypress logs with a kitchen built on the back and around a living room would be a large balcony where cots would be provided for sleeping quarters. The plans for construction were delayed due to questions of land. The title was then cleared and construction began after December 1926.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.