Difference between revisions of "Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(clean up)
Line 1: Line 1:
''Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka''
+
The '''Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] was organized in 1926 when women students petitioned for permission to erect a lodge on the shore of Lake Matoaka. It called for a cabin of rustic design and furnishing with accommodations for 20 girls, a large living room with open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen to be open in September, 1926. It was to be built of Cypress logs with a kitchen built on the back and around a living room there would be a large balcony where cots will be furnished for sleeping quarters. The plans for construction were delayed due to questions of land. The title was then cleared and construction began after December 1926.
  
1926 - women students petition for permission to erect a lodge on shore of Lake Matoaka.
+
==References==
..cabin of rustic design and furnishing.  Accommodations for 20 girls, large living room with open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen.  To be open in September, 1926.
+
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
..to be built of Cypress logs, kitchen built on the back, around living room will be a large balcony where cots will be furnished for sleeping quarters.
 
..plans for construction delayed due to questions of land. Title cleared and construction begins after December, 1926.
 
  
 +
==Need help?== 
 +
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
  
==References==
+
Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).  
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
  
 +
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 +
|-
 +
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 +
|-
 +
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 +
|}
  
----
 
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]

Revision as of 12:20, 2 August 2009

The Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka at the College of William and Mary was organized in 1926 when women students petitioned for permission to erect a lodge on the shore of Lake Matoaka. It called for a cabin of rustic design and furnishing with accommodations for 20 girls, a large living room with open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen to be open in September, 1926. It was to be built of Cypress logs with a kitchen built on the back and around a living room there would be a large balcony where cots will be furnished for sleeping quarters. The plans for construction were delayed due to questions of land. The title was then cleared and construction began after December 1926.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.