Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (CCC Camp)
The Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC Camp at the College of William and Mary during the Great Depression was located on the present site of Yates Hall on Yates Drive, across from William and Mary Hall.
1933--temporary camp behind Cary Field with a large mess hall, kitchen, five barracks, recreation building, shower and wash house, a garage, and an administration building. Camp laid out in a quadrangle, with mess hall at one end, administration building at other end, and barracks along sides.
Today (2010), small brick buildings on the side of the Yates parking lot are remain from the CCC camp.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Charles Hunter Notes, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- The Flat Hat
- Colonial Echo
- Alumni Gazette
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|